The Society of Applied Neuroscience (SAN) is a nonprofit membership organization devoted to advancing neuroscientific knowledge and its innovative applications by empowering both scientists and practitioners in serving the public by optimising self-regulatory brain function.
Its membership is open to scientists and practitioners interested in an integrated approach with involves the neural, cognitive and behavioural levels of analysis.
SAN originated as a chapter of the International Society for Neuronal Regulation, an U.S. based organization, grew in numbers and turned into the Society of Applied Neuroscience through a membership referendum which also enlarged its scope. SAN is based in Europe and open to international membership.
SAN is registered in the Norwegian Register Brønnøysundregistrene as Organization Number 984-637-94.
- Advancing integrative neuroscience, including novel applications such as neurofeedback (EEG, fMRI, NIRS), autonomic nervous system biofeedback, neuro-rehabilitation, brain-computer interface (BCI), transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS), virtual reality feedback, vagus nerve stimulation, electro-cranial stimulaton, audio-visual stimulation, etc.
- Fostering education in applied neuroscientific techniques
- Enhancing integrative practice in clinical treatment, education and optimal performance
- Promoting evidence-based practice to optimise functions in both health and disease
- Increasing public knowledge of neuroscientific applications
- Organising an annual conference
- Providing university accredited training courses on clinical, educational and optimal performance training
- Developing European standards of practice
- Supporting scientific research in applied neuroscience
- Seeking affiliation and membership concessions with like-minded societies
- Facilitating communication among scientists and practitioners
- Publishing an international scientific journal.